What you feed your body has a direct impact on your state of mind and overall health. This means that recovery is an incredibly important time to fuel yourself properly and make sure you’re going at a steady pace throughout the day. Processed sugars and refined carbohydrates offer quick energy boosts and fast crashes. These kinds of ups and downs do not lend themselves to emotional stability and will likely hinder your overall health and recovery. Here are a few paleo-based power snacks to keep your mind and body functioning and maximum levels throughout your day.
- Nuts. Almonds, walnuts, and brazil nuts offer high levels of minerals like potassium and zinc, protein, and healthy fats to fuel your brain. Instead of reaching for a granola bar, have a handful of nuts and experience increased blood sugar stability and satiation.
- Green foods. Though greens are not usually considered a snack, they’re vital sources of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and immune-boosting goodness. Grab some celery, cucumbers, swiss chard, or spinach and incorporate them into smoothies or snacks throughout the day.
- Blueberries. Packed with antioxidants and brain-boosting vitamins, blueberries offer increased energy and are lower in sugar than most other fruit. Grab a handful and enjoy with nuts or seeds.
- Dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is loaded with iron and antioxidants, as well as healthy fats. It’s also been known to improve mood. If you’re craving sugar, eat a few squares of dark chocolate instead.
- Olives. Olives are known to protect against heart disease, are loaded with Vitamin E, and provide fats that the brain loves. Pop a few olives if you’re feeling hungry.
- Sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are extremely satiating, high in beta carotene, and are one of the slow-digesting carbohydrates that provide sustained energy throughout the day. They’re easy to prepare and you can even pop them in the microwave.
- Avocado. Avocados are trending right now and for good reason. They improve digestion, increase bone health, and pack a huge nutritional punch. Spread some avocado on whole grain toast or just eat it plain. It’s a win-win.
Tree House Recovery of Orange County, California is a premier men’s addiction treatment facility that uses eight different modalities to help our men become the best versions of themselves they can be. We teach our men that every day of their journey is something to celebrate, and that recovery isn’t a sprint– it’s a marathon. To get started with Tree House Recovery, call us today at (855) 202-2138.