Motivational Interviewing Definition:
Motivational Interviewing empowers someone to find the answers that they need to resolve their issues as well as developing and maintaining a personal plan of action.
We have the will to be better and the power to change, we just can’t always do it alone. Sometimes we need someone who cares enough to get to know us, and asks the right questions before we can see what needs to be done. A motivational interviewer is a mentor who helps us find the answers we need by asking the right questions at the right time.
Benefits of Motivational Interviewing for Rehab:
- People are less likely to quit or give up on therapy because “they can’t do it”
- Increases people’s participation in therapy. They want to change.
- More likely to feel that they’ve achieved their goals during therapy.
- Less likely to resume bad habits after treatment.
- High confidence in our ability to change.
- Improves the success rates of other therapies.
How Does Motivational Interviewing work in Rehab:
- You are guided to creating your own ideas for solutions. Counselors help you design small steps toward that solution.
- It’s all about self-discovery and confidence. We can only change something if we know what’s wrong and believe we can change it.
- It’s a one on one conversation.
- It’s empowering. Sometimes we only focus on the negative and need someone to remind us of our strengths.
- There is no one right way to heal. Nobody is telling you what you “need to do.”
Change is Hard:
Change is a process that takes time, patience, and direction. Motivational Interviewing helps you create and maintain whatever works best for you.
Substance Abuse has many negative events like legal trouble, finances, loss of family, relationship problems, and conflicts with friends can make someone want to change. On the other hand, they may struggle to let go of what their drinking or drug use means to them (fun, stress management, coping). They want to want to change but it’s not enough.
At Tree House Recovery, we know that uncertainty is a completely normal reaction to any long term life change. It’s intimidating to give up a way of life for anything so uncertain. And no amount of someone saying “it’s going to be okay” will help. The only person who can fix these conflicts is the person who has them.
Motivational interviewing is a collaborative partnership between you and our staff, who help you realize your goals and chart a course towards them with no hesitation or conflict. We make a point to spend weeks getting to know every single one of our patients to make sure we understand their goals. Therapy that is not personal, cannot be effective.
Become Your Best:
Tree House Recovery was founded, and is run, by people with years of sobriety under their belt. We know how important it is to love what you’re becoming. We help our clients prove to themselves, every day, that they have infinite potential and value. Our graduates have more confidence than they ever thought possible.
We believe that everyone wants to get better. Our expert staff can help you find your way.
Call us, no charge: (855) 202-2138.
Everyone on our admissions team is a graduate of our program, waiting to answer any questions. Contact them via chat or email.
We hope to hear from you.