ALTERNATIVE APPROACHESour MEDICATION-FREE METHOD
TO ADDICTION TREATMENT
Replacing the Addicted Mentality: Medication Paradox
Masking Symptoms & Emotional Availability
Diagnosis During Active Addiction and PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome)
In active addiction and early recovery, addiction can induce symptoms that resemble mental illness. This is the condition referred to as PAWS or Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome in early recovery. Fortunately, PAWS is typically temporary as it can last 3 to 18 months. That said, our concern with placing clients on meds to combat their symptoms is that their symptoms often diminish during PAWS. At Tree House, we use fitness based interventions (ESM, EP Yoga, ABIT) to combat the presenting symptoms that often diminish with time. This holistic approach leads to sustainable recovery from addiction.
- The brain is impaired because of drug abuse.
- PAWS lasts from 3 to 18 months. Symptoms typically go away as PAWS diminishes.
- The symptoms of PAWS are the same as many psych disorders.
- Psychosocial dysfunction
- Impaired interpersonal skills
- Obsessive-compulsive behavior
- Feelings of guilt
- Autonomic disturbances
- Pessimistic thoughts
- Impaired concentration
- Lack of initiative
- Inability to think clearly
- Memory problems
- Emotional overreactions or numbness
- Sleep disturbances
- Physical coordination problems
- Stress sensitivity
- Increased sensitivity to pain
- Panic disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
Once you have had to the opportunity to learn other strategies to treat the symptoms (manage emotions) without medication, you now have choice in life.
- May work, but can be problematic for treating addiction because you are treating the problem with more drugs
- Exercise, self awareness and relationships to regulate emotion
- Often results in a more healthy and optimized person